Since launching the UBC strategic plan, Shaping UBC’s Next Century, in 2018, the university has worked toward the creation of a number of subsidiary plans that support the strategic plan’s core areas and strategies.
Throughout early 2021, the SHCS Leadership Team hosted leaders of these plans to discuss ways we can incorporate their priorities, goals and action items into our work in SHCS.
These subsidiary plans include:
- Focus on People 2025
- Inclusion Action Plan
- Indigenous Strategic Plan
- Student Strategic Plan
- Sustainability & Climate Action Plans
- Wellbeing Strategic Framework
How we’re taking action
Here is how we’re taking action to meet the goals of these important strategic plans and help shape UBC’s next century.
Focus on People 2025
- Embed workplace wellbeing and safety education
- Support respectful dialogue and conflict literacy
- Enhance mental health literacy
- Increase access to coaching/mentoring
- Connect employees across the university in social and professional ways
- Address succession planning
- Enhance leadership development programs
- Increase EDI in leadership
- Engage in high quality professional development and performance conversations
Inclusion Action Plan
- Enhance recruitment, retention and success programs, with particular attention to equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) frameworks and the improvement of performance reviews.
- Pursue systems change related to leadership/succession planning and job descriptions, etc.
- Build our capacity through EDI training, programs, and curricula and the enhancement of conflict engagement skillsets.
Indigenous Strategic Plan
- Increase needs-based access to child care services & affordable housing options for Indigenous students
- Hire a cultural expert that brings Indigenous cultural experts and knowledge holders to the UBC campuses to work, teach and promote expertise
- Strengthen and enhance relationship with Musqueam, the Syilx Okanagan Nation and other Indigenous host nations, as appropriate, regarding the design and development of UBC facilities
- Develop and deliver training on Indigenous history and topics
Student Strategic Plan
- Review hiring and employment practices to recruit and support people from systemically marginalized groups
- Embed equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) into hiring and performance reviews
- Develop staff training, programming and policy to support anti-racism, inclusion and social justice
- Strengthen relationships with Musqueam and the Syilx Okanagan Nation
- Address affordability and food insecurity at our campuses
Sustainability & Climate Action plans
- Optimize vehicle use, improve vehicle fuel efficiency and reduce emissions
- Promote, enable and reinforce high impact sustainability behaviours and practices
- Apply a sustainability- and climate-focused lens to materials and product selection
- Design, commission, operate and maintain livable, low carbon buildings with the highest possible energy efficiency to achieve the lowest life cycle cost
- Waste reduction, diversion and reuse
Wellbeing Strategic Framework
- Address food insecurity across our campuses
- Promote the healthy beverage initiative
- Partner with Swipe Out Hunger
- Enhance UBCO healthy food initiatives