Through our annual staff awards programs, we recognize SHCS Vancouver employees who make extraordinary contributions at UBC and in the community, in service of the SHCS vision and mission, and our dedicated long-term employees who have reached significant milestones in their careers with SHCS and UBC.
Our awards programs
For many years, we have recognized our long-term staff through the Long Service Awards program. More recently, in 2020 and 2021, we launched two nomination-based awards programs, the Outstanding Contribution Awards and Hero Awards.
These newer programs grew out of our unit’s People Plan, which identified an opportunity based on direct feedback from staff for increased recognition of staff contributions to their department, SHCS, UBC and the wider community.
Learn more about:
Active and current SHCS Vancouver employees (i.e., scheduled and working), at any level or area of the organization, including support departments, are eligible for our staff awards.
UBC Okanagan SHCS employees are eligible for recognition through the UBCO Staff Awards of Excellence.
Outstanding Contribution Awards (OCA)
The Outstanding Contribution Awards program recognizes staff who make extraordinary contributions at UBC and in the community. There are three categories:
- Outstanding Contribution Awards
- Outstanding Contribution Awards in Sustainability
- Outstanding Contribution Awards in Community Leadership
Staff are nominated by an SHCS colleague in one of the above categories and recipients are selected through a robust, inclusive and equitable selection process.
Nominations open in January and close in February each year.
The Hero Awards program recognizes staff who make a heroic difference through their work in SHCS.
Staff are nominated by a manager, supervisor or director and recipients are selected through a robust, inclusive and equitable selection process.
Nominations open in October and close in November each year.
Long Service Awards
The Long Service Awards program recognizes long-term staff who have reached a significant five-year milestone in their career with UBC and SHCS, from five years to 45+ years of dedicated service.
Eligible staff are automatically recognized each spring; nominations or applications are not required.
How we recognize recipients
SHCS leadership sincerely values the contributions and dedication of our award recipients. We recognize recipients through:
- Annual unit-wide communications
- Annual awards reception
- Certificate (OCA/Hero) or pin (LSA)
- Recognition wall, located in the SHCS Main Office (OCA/Hero)
Spring 2023 SHCS Awards Reception
Learn more about the spring 2022 SHCS Awards Reception.
President’s Service Awards for Excellence
The President’s Service Awards for Excellence (PSAE) are the top awards presented to UBC staff in recognition of excellence in personal achievements and contributions to UBC and to the vision and goals of the university. Staff at both UBC Vancouver and Okanagan are eligible.
Learn more about the President’s Service Awards for Excellence.
President’s Staff Awards
The President’s Staff Awards honour exceptional contributions in specific areas, such as leadership, enhancing the UBC experience, advancing diversity, and more. Staff at UBC Vancouver are eligible.
Learn more about the President’s Staff Awards.
Past SHCS recipients
- Ronyne Van Der Gracht, Bookstore Assistant, President’s Staff Award for Wellbeing (2020)
- David Speight, Executive Chef and Culinary Director, Food Services, President’s Staff Award for Leadership (2018)
- Cherrylyn Navarrete and Sally Vargas, Service Workers, St. John’s College / Facilities and Building Services, President’s Staff Award for Enhancing the UBC Experience (2017)
- Debbie Harvie, Managing Director, University Community Services, President’s Staff Award for Advancing Diversity & Inclusion (2017)
- Steven Golob, Commissary Chef, UBC Food Services, President’s Staff Award for Global Citizenship (2013)
- Cate Morrison, Associate Director, Residence Life, President’s Staff Award for Leadership and Creativity (2012)
Staff Awards of Excellence
The Staff Awards of Excellence celebrate outstanding contributions instrumental in helping UBC’s Okanagan campus achieve its strategic imperatives and contributing to the commitment to create an Outstanding Work Environment. Staff at UBC Okanagan are eligible.
Learn more about the Staff Awards of Excellence.